Latest NewsMaritime

Customs Hands Over 399 Seized Rifles To Small Arms Control Centre

0
Customs Hands Over 399 Seized Rifles To Small Arms Control Centre

The Comptroller General of Customs (CGC), Dr Bashir Adeniyi, on Monday handed over 399 seized firearms to the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW).

Adeniyi said at the handing over that the firearms were seized during the inspection and documentation of a consignment at the Tincan Island Ports in Lagos.

He said that the firearms were being presented to the Centre to ensure proper custody and accountability in line with national security laws.

The Comptroller-General said that among the 399 rifles were assorted component parts of 89 frames, 80 charging handles, 579 trigger groups and 25 locking lugs.

“The service has completed inspection and documentation of the consignment intercepted at the port.”

“The seizure was made possible through the trade modernisation system and improved risk management tools.”

“Technology has now made it possible for Customs personnel to identify high-risk containers without examining every shipment manually,” the CGC said.

He said that two suspects linked to the consignment were arrested and had been remanded by a Federal Court in Lagos.

Adeniyi added that the firearms would now be managed by the NCCSALW under the office of the National Security Adviser.

He stressed that the Customs would not allow Nigerian borders to be used to import arms or other dangerous goods.

*Comptroller-General of Customs Dr Bashir Adeniyi, inspecting the 399 rifles to ascertain the figure before handing over to the National Centre for Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (NCCSALW) at Tincan Island ports in Lagos on Monday

He commended the Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Joseph Anani, and officers at the Tincan Island Port for their diligence and urged all personnel to continue their vigilance across all commands.

The Comptroller-General of Customs warned that any officer found compromising the system would face disciplinary action.

He also acknowledged the cooperation of other security agencies and international partners in combating arms trafficking.

“The service remains committed to protecting the nation’s borders and supporting the government’s efforts on national security.

“Our prayer is that Nigeria will continue to be at peace and in prosperity,” Adeniyi said.

Mr Babatunde Kokumo, Direc­tor-General, NCCSALW, said that the centre received 399 seized illicit weapons and two suspects from the Nigeria Customs Service at Tin Can Island Port.

Kokumo commended the Customs’ role in arms recovery and the Comptroller-General of Customs, Adeniyi, for his leadership and continuous collaboration in recovering illicit arms and curbing proliferation nationwide.

Kokumo said illegal arms drove terrorism, banditry and kidnapping,

He added that over 21,000 weapons had been retrieved and 19,000 destroyed since NCCSALW’s establishment.

He said that four suspects faced prosecution, while the weapons had been catalogued.

Referencing 2024 seizures at Lagos Airport and Onne Port, Kokumo said that the suspects were in detention and undergoing prosecution.

He noted that NCCSALW would catalogue, profile and destroy unserviceable weapons.

Kokumo called for synergy in arms control and urged inter-agency cooperation, intelligence sharing and civil disarmament.

He thanked the National Security Adviser (NSA) and the customs service, pledging strict accountability in line with national and international laws.

Comptroller Joseph Anani, the Customs Area Controller, Tincan Island Command, said arms control required strong collaboration among all security agencies and strict adherence to the law in the management and accounting of the seized items.

Anani commended the National Centre for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons for its partnership, and expressed confidence that their cooperation would yield positive results in national security.

He reaffirmed Customs’ commitment to supporting the Federal Government in combating the illicit movement of small arms and light weapons into the country.

In another development, the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has handed over seized cannabis-infused products, including cookies, to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), with an estimated street value of N373.8 million.

The Comptroller-General of Customs (CGC), Dr Bashir Adeniyi, disclosed this during the handing over of the intercepted cannabis products at Tin Can Island Port on Monday in Lagos.

*L-R: The Customs Area Controller, Tincan Island Customs Command, Comptroller Joseph Anani, the Comptroller-General of Customs Dr Bashir Adeniyi, Commander, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Augustine Adewunmi, and Customs Area Controller, Federal Operations Unit Zone ‘A’, Comptroller Gambo Aliyu during the handing over of the two 40ft containers of cannabis cookies worth N373.8m to NDLEA on Monday in Lagos

Adeniyi said the consignment included Delta-8-infused cannabis cookies, gummies and pre-rolls with an estimated street value of N373.8 million.

He said the inventory of the two intercepted 40-foot containers and the accompanying documentation had been completed following the initial announcement of the seizure on Aug. 6, 2026.

According to him, the seizure reflects the service’s commitment to preventing illicit drugs from entering Nigerian communities.

Adeniyi said the handover also underscored inter-agency collaboration in border security and drug control.

He said the items were formally transferred to the NDLEA for further investigation and prosecution.

The CGC commended the officers involved for their professionalism and diligence in detecting the concealed consignment.

He said technology and intelligence sharing were key to identifying the suspicious containers.

Adeniyi stressed that the service would sustain efforts to prevent the entry of prohibited substances through the nation’s ports, borders and airports.

He said the NCS would join the NDLEA in a public destruction exercise for the seized drugs after the completion of investigations.

Adeniyi urged port users and other stakeholders to support government policies against drug trafficking, reaffirming the service’s resolve to protect public health and national security.

Receiving the seized cannabis products, NDLEA Commander Augustine Adewunmi raised the alarm over cannabis-infused cookies and smoothies allegedly being smuggled into Nigeria and targeted at children, students and club-goers.

Adewunmi said the products, sourced from the United States, were packaged as vegan snacks in citrus, vanilla and peach flavours to deceive unsuspecting youths.

He urged parents and schools to remain vigilant against drugs disguised as snacks and drinks, while commending the Customs Service for its efforts.

ECOWAS Announces N91m Startup Awards

Previous article

Apapa Customs Sets New Revenue Benchmark At ₦28.1bn In 24 Hours

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Latest News